Skip to main content
 

Chicken Enchilada Recipe

I know my picture isn't fancy, and almost forgot to take one after everyone devoured this. It has been pinned as a must repeat :)  I tweaked some things that I think add that much more flavor! This made a full casserole dish of enchiladas easily feeding 6-8 people and perfect for my kinda cooking... the kind where you eat leftovers and don't cook every night :)

Healthy-ish Chicken Enchiladas

1.5 lbs chicken thighs
1.5 cups salsa or about half a jar

1 can of diced tomatoes, no salt added (15.5 ounces, do not drain)
1/2 cup of salsa
1/2 large onion, diced
1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
10-20 yellow corn tortillas
1 tsp olive oil
2 cups of Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
1 packet of stevia
1 tsp of fine sea salt

For the most tender chicken, I cook it in the crock pot. 4 hours on high with half a jar of salsa on top. Take chicken out and shred to put inside enchiladas. 


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil and diced onion. Stir occasionally. Cook until onions are translucent.
Add diced tomatoes (don't drain them) to the onions. Cover and simmer on low until the tomatoes start falling apart. Mine took about 10-15 minutes.
During this time, spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Take your tortillas and place a couple of them between two damp paper towels and microwave until soft. I did 3-4 at a time and microwaved for 30-45 seconds. This will help make the tortillas soft enough to roll without ripping.
In each tortilla, fill with a little bit of cheese and chicken. I did enough chicken to fill the tortilla and about a tbsp of cheese. Roll your tortillas up and place in your 9x13 pan.
Return to your sauce and add the salsa, Greek yogurt, Stevia and sea salt. Allow it to simmer for a minute or two.
Place sauce in a blender until smooth and then immediately pour over enchiladas.

Cover with the remaining cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
Enjoy!


If you are following the 21 Day Fix:

1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow and 1 blue for TWO enchiladas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little more about my story.... When did you realize you would overeat/eat unhealthy foods when you were overwhelmed? Food had been my go-to for comfort since I was very young. In an effort to stuff down feelings of overwhelm, food was what I turned to. It was a distraction from whatever I should be accomplishing. It was also a sign of giving up. I had always strived to eat healthy foods and when the cravings hit for whatever I had been telling myself not to eat, I overate it to punish myself. I would eat until I felt numb. I would continue until I couldn’t breathe. It would turn into a “last supper” because starting tomorrow, I would only eat healthy foods and no more sweets. Then I’d hit a bump in the road the next day that would send me right back to the tub of ice cream, then the cereal, then the bread, then anything I could find and exactly to the binge I had sworn not to have ever again. The cycle is destructive. Ironically, it would get worse whenever I was trying t
Hi! I’m new here! I am passionate about sharing my story and why it means so much to get to encourage others because my path to fit hasn't been easy 😊 I have the joy of walking alongside women in their health goals, and inspiring them to live happy, healthy and fulfilling lives. I had struggled for as long as I can remember doubting I'd ever find freedom and hope in my own health. What motivated you to take control of your own fitness & health? When I was newly postpartum, I was in a rut when it came to losing the baby weight. I had let myself down by not having that “healthy active pregnancy” I hoped I would. It spiraled into apathy and reckless eating. Once I was able to work on losing the extra pounds, I was in a negative head space. I was already mad at myself for throwing in the towel on any pursuit of a healthy pregnancy. I also had a long history of emotional eating and food had controlled me unless I was restricting it and te
Beef & Butternut Squash Stew: Easy is my love language when it comes to food. ⁣ Husband and house guest approved  ️⁣ ⁣ Grab this recipe & add/don’t add whatever veggies you want. ⁣ ⁣ Beef + Butternut Squash Stew⁣ Yields 6 servings; 1 serving = 1 green, 1 red⁣ Ingredients:⁣ ● 1 tsp olive oil⁣ ● 1.5 lbs lean, boneless, stew meat - cut into 2 inch cubes⁣ ● 1 medium onion, chopped⁣ ● 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped⁣ ● 1/2 red (or other colored) bell pepper, chopped⁣ ● 4 cloves of garlic, crushed⁣ ● 2 medium tomatoes, chopped⁣ ● 1 cup low-sodium organic beef broth⁣ ● 1 bay leaf⁣ ● 1 tsp sea salt⁣ ● 1 tsp ground black pepper⁣ ● 2 cups butternut squash, cubed⁣ I added some kale ripped in pieces- you hardly notice it’s in there ⁣ ⁣ Instructions:⁣ Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add beef; cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes, or until beef is brown. Add onion and peppers; cook stirring frequently for 4